Join Team GCM member, Jenna, as she shows you how to make ice cream playdough! Create this sensory experience with just a few simple ingredients and then have fun smashing and mashing your ice cream with your hands. The best part: no sticky fingers and no runny mess!
Please note: This mixture is safe if eaten, but it is not for eating. The sole purpose of this creation is to inspire play!
- Salt (one cup per color)
- Flour (one cup per color)
- White cornmeal/PAN (¼ cup per color)
- Water (one cup per color)
- Icecream cones (the crunchier the better!)
- Food dye (gel or liquid)
- Mixing bowls or plastic bins
- A large plastic bin (to contain mess!)
- Plastic tablecloth or covering for the ground (optional)
- Mix salt, flour, cornmeal, water, and food dye together until completely combined (I recommend using your hands to mix it! It’s more fun and saves a lot of time)
- The mixture should have the texture of hard ice cream; if not, add cornmeal until desired texture is reached
- Repeat this process for each ice cream “flavor” (color).
- Lay each “flavor” next to each other in a bin or container like you would in an ice cream shop!
- OPTIONAL: Use some paper, markers, and scissors to make signs with the name of each “flavor” to create an ice cream shop experience!
- Prep your cones and sprinkles near your flavors
- Time to play! Use a scoop or spoon to load up your ice cream cone with different colors of dough
- Add sprinkles or other toppings (I recommend using dry toppings only)
- Create and smash your creations to your liking!
Team GCM Creator: Jenna