Join team GCM member, Chris, as he discovers the invisible world that helps turn a cucumber into a pickle! Then, follow the steps to make your own pickles at home.
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (or white vinegar)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons salt (Kosher, or non-iodized salt)
- 2 lbs. cucumbers
Optional to add for flavor:
- 2 sprigs of dill (or 1 dill flowerhead or 2 teaspoons dried dill leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili pepper (red flakes)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 small cloves garlic (peeled)
- Make a brine by combining the water, vinegar, salt, and optional honey. Bring them to a boil.
- Pack clean jars with the cucumbers. Add one clove of garlic, one sprig of dill, and a pinch of red pepper flakes to the jar to add flavor. Pack the cucumbers in tightly – you don’t want them to float when you add the brine.
- Pour the hot brine over the other ingredients. The cucumber should be completely submerged in the brine.
- Fasten lids and store in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours before eating.
Team GCM Creators: Chris