St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital exhibit now open at the Glazer Children’s Museum
The Glazer Children’s Museum has teamed up with BayCare Health System to give its hospital exhibit a new look! In the new St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital Featuring the UnMonsters™, children can try on the white coats or scrubs of different hospital workers and treat the un-scary UnMonsters™. “This exhibit is a fun and interactive way of furthering our mission to provide everything needed for the health and well-being of the children in our community,” said Sarah Naumowich, president of St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital. “We can’t wait for visitors to the Glazer Children’s Museum to meet our UnMonsters: Tizzy, Ooz, Jitters and Fretta. From educating families on wellness and safety during community events to being a friendly face at St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital, our UnMonsters help children understand that hospitals aren’t so scary after all.”
The Glazer Children’s Museum specializes in imaginative play, allowing kids’ imaginations to run wild as they try on different identities. The St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital exhibit will be located on the museum’s Main Street along with other role-play areas including a Publix, Fire Station, Pizza Place, Vet Clinic, and Little Stars Theater. In the new exhibit, little learners will take on the diverse roles of hospital workers in an immersive environment featuring 10 interactive stations.
- Ambulance: Take the driver seat as you control the siren and flashing lights, or care for a patient on the gurney in the back.
- Welcome Desk: Greet guests, answer calls, and watch videos of the different roles of hospital workers at St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital.
- Medical Equipment: Try on scrubs or a white coat, grab a stethoscope, and treat your patient with bandages.
- CT Scanner: Slide your UnMonsters™ patient into the CT Scanner to see images of what’s inside.
- Body Sounds: Place the stethoscope over the image of a human body to hear the sounds made by that body part.
- Medical Matching Game: Match different tasks to the hospital worker who performs them and get to know the UnMonsters™.
- Skelevision: Stand in front of the sensor to see yourself as a skeleton then move around or do a dance!
- Human Body Systems: Learn about the Circulatory, Skeletal, and Nervous Systems inside us all, then layer the systems to see how the work together.
- UnMonsters™ Game: Travel through the different areas of St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital and earn points as you find the UnMonsters™ in each space.
- Digital Card: Create a digital card to send to current patients at St. Joseph’s Children’s Hospital.
By Kate White, Glazer Children’s Museum
Originally published in the October 2019 issue of Tampa Bay Parenting Magazine.